This loaded cauliflower casserole is the ultimate healthy comfort food swap for mashed potatoes. Loads of cream cheese, cheddar, butter, and bacon combined with cauliflower create an unbelievably delicious side dish that is ready to serve in 45 minutes.
- 1 Head Cauliflower (4 cups cauliflower florets) – Chopped
- 6 Ounces Cream Cheese, cut into chunks
- 8 Strips Fried Bacon
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- ¼ Cup Heavy Cream
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 + 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- ¼ Teaspoon Garlic Powder (Optional)
- 2 Tablespoons Chives or Green Onions To Garnish
- Cook bacon and set aside
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Chop cauliflower
- Steam Option 1: Put cauliflower in a microwave-safe bowl, add a few tablespoons of water – cover with cling wrap – and steam for around 5 minutes until tender
- Steam: Option 2: Place the cauliflower in a steamer basket on top of a pot with boiling water and steam until tender, around 5 minutes.
- Once it’s steamed – drain excess water and throw the cauliflower back into the bowl – cover it and let it sit there for 2-3 minutes. Please be patient here and let the cauliflower do its thing – (it will absorb extra moisture and prevent your casserole from being a soggy disaster)
- If you want a mashed potato consistency, then whip out the potato masher, blender or food processor and go for it. Or skip this step. It’s up to you.
- Next Step: Add cream cheese, 1 cup of cheddar, Monterey Jack, sour cream, heavy cream, butter, and garlic powder. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and toss to combine.
- Transfer to an oven-safe casserole dish and top with remaining shredded cheese blend and crumbled bacon.
- Place in preheated oven and cook until cheese is melted and nicely browned on top, around 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve topped with fresh chives or green onions.
Swap Cheddar Cheese with 1/2 cup Gruyere Cheese + 1/4 Cup Parmesan
Add 1/2 Cup Colby
Swap Cheddar with Italian Cheese Blend
Make it Au Gratin by adding Parmesan breadcrumbs (1/2 cup Parmesan cheese + Cup crushed original flavor pork rinds)
Keywords: low carb, keto, cauliflower, casserole, comfort food, side dish, recipe