Are you looking for beauty hacks to save you some time and money perhaps a little sanity? Then you’re in the right spot, sister! As a very youthful and fun-loving forty-something mother of a teenage daughter, I have spent my fair share of time and money at Sephora, Ulta and I’m sure there’s another one I’m forgetting. Anyway, what do you do when you break a new lipstick or buy the wrong color, or you’re just not feeling it anymore? You hack, that’s what you do! Here are forty of my favorite beauty hacks!
This post may contain affiliate links that help keep this content free. [Full Disclosure]
Beauty Hacks – Makeup
1. A few drops of rubbing alcohol can fix broken eyeshadows and powders! Get the full tutorial here!
2. Don’t throw away used makeup containers. Companies like MAC, Lush, and Kiehl’s offer free products or discounts when you recycle.
3. Fix a broken lipstick by heating it up with a lighter or hairdryer and then let it harden back up in the refrigerator. Get it the details here!
4. Make a less than fabulous pigmented eyeshadow more colorful by applying a white eyeliner over your eyelid first. The white liner will cancel out the color of your skin and give the shadow a neutral base so the color can pop.
5. Or make that shadow into a polish by mixing it with clear nail polish.
6. If your foundation is too dark add a little moisturizer to lighten it up.
7. Apply concealer after foundation. If you use concealer first, you’ll just remove it when you apply foundation.
8. If you’re out of blush use a tiny bit of lipstick to add color to your cheeks.
9. Use peppermint oil as a natural and cheap lip plumper.
10. If you have oily skin, avoid products with shimmer. They’ll make you look shinier.
11. You can use that shimmer on the center of your lips to instantly make them look fuller.
12. Clumpy mascara? Make it last longer by adding a few drops of contact solution.
13. Prep eyelashes with translucent or baby powder for an inexpensive way to make lashes appear longer.
14. Don’t pump your mascara! Pumping adds air which drys it out faster.
15. If your eyebrows are out of control, spray a spoolie brush with hairspray and brush them into place.
16. Or use clear mascara.
Beauty Hacks – Hair & Nails
17. Make your hair color last longer by washing it every other day. Use dry shampoo instead.
18. Save money by making your own dry shampoo. For lighter hair use cornflower – for darker hair add a little cocoa powder to the mix
19. Skip the salon and remove nail stains with denture whiteners. Soak hands in a solution made of 1/2 water, 1/2 denture whitening tabs for fifteen minutes.
20. Save money on nails by using a Sharpie to DIY-it and keep it from smearing with hairspray.
21. Dry your nails in 3 minutes by soaking them in a bowl of ice water.
22. Add corn starch to clear nail polish for a DIY matte look.
Beauty Hacks That Save Money
23. Use brown sugar and honey as a natural and budget-friendly exfoliant.
24. Use a toothbrush to exfoliate your lips instead of a pricey product.
25. Save money and get cash back on cosmetics and other items at Sephora and Ulta using Ebates.
26. Out of shaving cream? No need to rush to the store. Use conditioner instead.
27. Use coconut oil as an eye makeup remover. Mix 1 teaspoon coconut oil with 1/2 teaspoon of tear-free baby shampoo and water. Or use it as a lotion. Or a hair conditioning treatment.
28. Use cold, caffeine-based products like green tea to de-puff bags under the eyes.
29. Use Apple Cider Vinegar as a toner!
30. Save money by making your own makeup brush cleanser. Mix 1/2 teaspoon olive oil with 1/2 teaspoon dish washing soap
31. Cut makeup sponges in half to make them last longer.
32. Use Visine to take the red out of pimples!
33. Check the bottom shelves at the store. Products that are more expensive go at eye level.
34. Grey or colored hair? Use black mascara to cover roots between salon appointments.
35. Save money on hair cuts and colors by going to a beauty school instead of a salon.
36. If you’re out of blotting papers use toilet seat covers from public restrooms as a substitute.
37. You can get high end beauty products at TJ Maxx and Marshall’s for a lot less.
38. Save money on lipstick by “setting” the color. Apply translucent powder over a tissue on top of your lipstick to make it last longer.
39. Store your makeup products (especially ones with oil like lipstick & foundation) in the refrigerator to make them last longer!
40. Keep all receipts. If a beauty product doesn’t work as expected, return it! Most stores will give you your money back.
41, Use the Ebates app when you shop online. It will check for all available coupons and find the best one for you in seconds.
Hopefully some of these beauty hacks will help you save a little time and a few dollars! What is your favorite beauty hack?
If you enjoyed this collection of time and money saving hacks, please share it on Pinterest!