Did you remember to move the Elf on the Shelf? Christmas is a busy season for parents, but for kids, Christmas is pure magic. These easy and creative Elf on the Shelf ideas, printables, and tips will help save your sanity and make the Elf on the Shelf a fun family Christmas tradition!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. To learn all about them click here!
What Is Elf on the Shelf?
Due to its mass popularity you may think the Elf is the creation of a big-brand toy distributor, but the favorite brand is a Georgia family’s tradition that a mother-daughter team made into a real-life All-American style success story. And no, they didn’t create the elves to make parents miserable-or stressed out. Here’s the low down: The Elf on the Shelf usually arrives around December 1 and reports back to Santa every night at the North Pole. When the Elf returns, he is always in a new spot. This adds excitement to every day throughout the holiday season-unless, of course, you forget to move the Elf. Guess what? I have three kids, two elves, and I’ve had to come up with a ton of ideas/stories/and flat out lies over the years. Here are a few tips I wish someone would have told me sooner!
Top Elf On The Shelf Tips (& The Hack Every Parent Needs To Know)
- If you don’t have the book grab it here & then come on back ASAP!
- Take a deep breath & don’t stress! Remember this is all in fun! Your kids do not care if your Elf looks Pin-worthy perfect every morning!
- Do a little Elf planning. Peruse Pinterest for ideas & stock up on props you may need ahead of time. (You can find these in your child’s toy organizers/under their beds/everywhere they leave stuff: Think Barbie cars, toy soldiers, plastic dinosaurs, model planes, fake snow or cupcake sprinkles.) Some of the ideas below use household items like (used) toilet paper rolls & soup cans so don’t throw these away!
- Know the Elf on the Shelf Rules before an Elf 911 happens! Read & Save: Top Ten Reasons Why Your Elf on the Shelf Did Not Move
- Know that Elf on the Shelf letters are a thing (But Not Mandatory)-Just because your Elf can’t speak doesn’t mean he can’t communicate! The Party Artisan has a cute shop on Etsy where you can get an instant download of the cutest miniature elf letters you’ll ever see!
- Consider setting an alarm on your phone to remind yourself to move your Elf-just in case life gets busy. Do not set it as “Move Elf” – My husband made this mistake a few seasons ago & thankfully we caught the mistake before we got burned.
- Get creative with everyday household items! You don’t have to spend a lot of money or time or be Martha Stewart to make a significant impact. You’ll notice in the following projects that some of the best Elf on the Shelf ideas are very simple, easy, and cheap!
What you do need to know is how to HACK your Elf!
Hands down the most Essential and Critical step in making your Elf on the Shelf season a success is this hack that recommends placing bendable wire in your elf’s arms and legs and velcro in the hands which makes hanging & posing SO MUCH EASIER!!!! Can’t sew? Neither can I! This is a DIY that anyone at any level of the crafting game can conquer! If you want to pose your Elf in any way-this is VIP, or you will be so very frustrated!
You’re about to see where this hack will come in handy! I’ve had so much fun collecting these Elf on a Shelf ideas for my kids over the years-I hope you have just as much fun viewing them! Click on the images or the links below to view the original posts!
50 Insanely Easy Elf On The Shelf Ideas
Double Trouble Idea for Two Elves
Elf Rides a Reindeer
Elf Self Portrait
Frozen Elf on the Shelf
Elf in the Fridge
Posing with Barbie
Upside Down Elf
Easy Sprinkle “Snow” Elf
Elf on the Shelf Free Printables
You May Also Like:
Don’t forget to save these Elf on the Shelf ideas for later!