Keto Cheeseburger Soup with bacon is the ultimate keto comfort food combining ground beef, cream cheese & cheddar into a creamy low carb soup that makes an easy dinner you can slow cook to perfection, make in minutes using your Instant Pot it or go old-school & prep on the stove!
I considered waiting until the weather got a little colder to share this keto cheeseburger soup recipe, but then I thought – well, we just ate it in July & not one member of my family complained about my off-season selection.
So here we are.
The most time-consuming part of putting this together was finding everything I needed to use. Initially, I was going to use my Instant Pot, but that went downhill fast as:
A) It took me 20 minutes to find it hiding in the pantry under a bag of clothes a month overdue to be dropped at Goodwill
B) I discovered that chef boyar-Lylah Kate “misplaced” the critical pot part of the Instant Pot while developing a yet to be determined dessert recipe.
Yeah – she’s kinda hard to stay mad at – So…I sucked it up & moved on.
Since I did not have crockpot time on my hands, I went with the stovetop version – which is equally fantastic.
I got started with the bacon -which immediately lifts my spirits because – hello, it’s hard to be sad & fry bacon! Full Disclosure: I cooked the whole pack so I could eat it while I cooked. Also, I’ve included affiliate links here to ingredients I used – for more info – check out my disclosure page.
Make-Ahead & Freezing Keto Cheeseburger Soup
All of the instructions are written in the recipe notes – except freezing the soup – which is simple. I recommend making a double or triple batch of this on meal prep day to freeze. This recipe lasts for up to 6 months in the freezer if you use fresh (not frozen) ground beef. Just make sure you let it cool before you stick it in the freezer & label the bag. You may want to hold the cream cheese & heavy cream – & add it after you reheat. Dairy acts weird in the freezer. When you’re ready to make it – thaw overnight in the fridge & dump it in your crockpot or heat it on the stove. Boom – dinner is served.
*Special Ingredients: I used Kettle & Fire Bone Broth & Xanthan Gum (to thicken) – but if you don’t have these on hand – don’t freak out. You can make regular beef broth work – & – the soup is divine without the thickener!
Toppings: You can go full out cheeseburger & top it with dill pickles, onions, shredded lettuce & a little tomato. I went with sour cream, cheddar & what was left of the bacon. It was fabulous.
This Is What It Looks Like Without Xanthan Gum
See? I really didn’t have to use it – but I thought I’d be extra & go for it. If you want a thicker soup – use a tiny bit (1/8 of a teaspoon) of Xanthan Gum & mix it with a little warm water to dissolve it before adding it in – otherwise it will be clumpy:)
It may not be the best photo in the world – I’m working on my photography skills – but trust me, you’ll love it:) My non-keto family approved – & – the hubs requested it again so it’s definitely a winner.Print
Delicious & creamy Keto Cheeseburger Soup with Bacon & Cream Cheese is the easiest keto crockpot (or Instant Pot – or Stovetop) recipe you’ll ever make with a unique flavor combining the simplest ingredients to create Southern comfort food keto style! With only 3.1 net carbs this will be your new favorite family dinner!
1.5 Pounds Ground Beef
8 Slices Bacon
4 Cups Beef Broth
1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
2.5 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
1/2 Teaspoon Chili Powder
4 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
A Pinch of Sea Salt
1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1 Cup Shredded Cheddar
4 Ounces Cream Cheese
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
1/8 Teaspoon Xanthan Gum Dissolved in Water (Optional)
- Fry Bacon & Set Aside (Resist the temptation to eat all of it)
- Brown ground beef in bacon grease with garlic, onion & chili powder
- Set the slow cooker to low heat & add ground beef, beef broth, tomato paste, salt & pepper.
- Stir & cook on low for 5 hours
- Add ½ Cup Cheddar Cheese + cream cheese + heavy cream & cook one more hour or as long as you can stand it
- Top with crumbled bacon, sour cream &/or optional toppings listed in Notes
- Set Instant Pot to Saute
- Cut Bacon Slices in 1/2 & cook for 3 Minutes, Flip – Cook 2 More Minutes
- Use bacon grease to brown the ground beef in Instant Pot- You can use a wooden spoon or spatula or whatever you can find to break it apart – takes 5 minutes
- Drain 1/2 grease & return to the pressure cooker.
- Add the garlic cloves, onion, & chili powder – cook for 1 minute
- Next, add in broth, tomato paste, salt & pepper
- Close the lid & lock it
- Switch your Instant Pot to the “Soup” function or Low-Pressure mode & cook 20 minutes
- 20 Minutes Later…Let the pressure reduce on its own without opening the steam release vent for 10 minutes (AKA Natural Pressure Release).
- Then carefully open the vent to release the rest of the pressure
- Last Step: Add in ½ cheddar cheese, cream cheese & heavy cream – stir & serve
- Cook Bacon – Set aside – Again: Try not to eat it
- Drain ½ grease then use the rest to brown ground beef
- When ground beef is 1/2 way browned, add garlic, onion & chili powder
- Transfer to stovetop bowl set on low
- Stir in 4 cups of broth & tomato paste – salt & pepper – & 1/2 cup cheddar cheese & cream cheese
- Stir until cream cheese & cheddar is melted
- Cook for 30 minutes with the lid on
- Last Step: Stir in heavy cream & bacon crumbles – serve topped with remaining cheddar cheese & sour cream &/or optional toppings in Notes
Xanthan Gum: Optional for thickening. To thicken the soup I put 1/8 teaspoon of Xanthan Gum in a little warm water & whisked it until it dissolved (if you add it directly it may clump) – then I added it to the soup to thicken. It took less than 5 minutes. If you like your soups on the thick side – you may want to try it – but its optional!
Toppings: Cheddar Cheese, Sour Cream, Chopped Tomato, Sliced Dill Pickles
- Category: Keto
- Method: Stove Slow Cooker Instant Pot
Keywords: keto, low carb, crockpot, slow cooker, Instant Pot, easy dinner
Check Out These Keto-Approved Recipes!
Save Or Share!