This essential guide to drinking on the keto diet goes beyond keto cocktails and covers all of the bases. From the best low carb liquors, beer, and wine to keto-approved sugar-free mixers and cocktails to make at home (and order at a bar), this low carb alcohol guide covers all of your questions about what you can and cannot drink on the ketogenic diet.
This post may contain affiliate links that help keep this content free. [Full Disclosure]
Does alcohol & the keto diet mix? Yes, you can drink on a low carb diet as long as you follow the simple guidelines outlined below.
What Is The Best Alcohol To Drink On The Keto Diet?
Drinking on a low carb diet won’t throw you out of ketosis as long as you follow a few guidelines, and stick to best keto cocktail recipes, low carb mixers, wine, and yes-even beer.
Most alcohol contains 0 carbs:
What you choose to mix with these spirits is where the low carb dilemma plays in.
Mixers & Chasers To Avoid
- Simple Syrup – 1 oz = 50 Calories, 14 Carbs
- Cranberry Juice – 1 oz = 17 Calories, 4.27 Carbs
- Margarita Mix – 4 oz = 110 Calories, 27 Carbs
- Daiquiri Mix – 4 oz = 190 Calories, 46 Carbs
- Pina Colada Mix – 4 oz = 180 Calories, 43 Carbs
- Whiskey Sour Mix – 4 oz = 260 Calories, 40 Carbs
- Sweet & Sour – 4 oz = 90 Calories, 23 Carbs
- Amaretto – 1 oz = 110 Calories, 17 Carbs
- Grand Marnier – 1 oz = 76 Calories, 6.5 Carbs
- Triple Sec – 1 oz = 103 Calories, 11 Carbs
- Peach Schnapps – 1 oz = 72 Calories, 6.6 Carbs
- Kahlua – 1 oz = 91 Calories, 14.7 Carbs
- Creme de Menthe – 1.5 oz = 187 Calories, 21 Carbs
Low Carb Keto-Friendly Mixers & Chasers
- Flavored Stevia Drops
- Sparkling Water – LaCroix, Bubly
- Club Soda
- Diet Soda – Sprite Zero, Zevia, Diet Coke
- Water Enhancers: Mio, Stur, Dasani Drops, Crystal Light
- Sugar Free Energy Drinks Red Bull, Monster
- Sugar Free Cranberry Juice
- Angostura Bitters
- DaVinci Sugar-Free Syrup
- Citrus Fruits
Best Low Carb Alcohol Drinks To Order
- Dirty Martini – 0 Carbs
- Vodka & Soda Water – 0 Carbs
- Gin & Soda Water – < 1 Carb
- Tequila Shot – 0 Carbs
- Whiskey – 0 Carbs
- Diet Jack & Coke – 0 Carbs
Drinks To Avoid On A Low Carb Diet
- Gin & Tonic – 16 Carbs
- White Russian – 17 Carbs
- Mimosa Sherbert – 27 Carbs
- Vodka & Orange Juice – 28 Carbs
- Rum & Coke – 39 Carbs
- Pina Colada – 61 Carbs
White Wine – 5 ounce serving
- Chardonnay – 123 Cal, 3.1 Carbs
- Pinot Grigio – 122 Cal, 3.2 Carbs
- Sauvignon Blanc – 2.7 Carbs
- Sparkling White – 96 Cal, 1.5 Carbs
- Brut Champagne -147 Cal, 2.8 Carbs
Red Wine – 5 Ounce serving
- Pinot Noir – 121 Calories, 3.4 Carbs
- Merlot – 122 Calories, 3.7 Carbs
- Cabernet Sauvignon – 122 Calories, 3.8 Carbs
- Syrah – 122 Calories, 3.8 Carbs
- Zinfandel – 130 Calories, 4 Carbs
Wines To Avoid
- Dessert Wines -165 Calories, 14 Carbs
- Sangria – 89 Calories, 10 Carbs
- Moscato – 127 Calories, 11 Carbs
- Ports – 79 Calories, 6 Carbs
- Sherry – 165 Calories, 14 Carbs
Most beer contains around 7 carbs per 12 ounce serving. If beer is your thing, check out some of the low carb options available.
- Greens Trailblazer – 119 Calories, 0.5 Carbs
- Bud Select 55 – 55 Calories, 1.9 Carbs
- Rolling Rock – 92 Calories, 2.4 Carbs
- Michelob Ultra – 95 Calories, 2.6 Carbs
- Miller Lite – 96 Calories, 3.2 Carbs
Low Carb Diet & Lower Alcohol Tolerance
Spoiler Alert: You can’t drink like you used to! The Keto Diet lowers tolerance levels for alcohol!
Back in the day, when you ate carbs on the regular, you had plenty of glycogen stored up – which acted as a buffer of sorts when you took part in Happy Hour. Now, not so much.
See, when your body is in ketosis (the metabolic state of burning fat for fuel) you have significantly less glycogen – which results in your new status as a cheap drunk.
On the bright side-you’ll save money on Happy Hour.
You may also make a complete fool out of yourself & suffer a wicked hangover. Fortunately, there are a few things you can do to prevent both!
How To Avoid A Hangover
- Don’t drink on an empty stomach.
- Eat while you drink: Fat, protein & fiber slow alcohol absorption
- Make sure you have low carb snacks on hand – the munchies are real
- Stay hydrated. Shoot for one glass of H20 for every cocktail better yet, Two
- Limit your consumption to one drink per hour
- Clear Liquors like Gin & Vodka cause fewer hangovers – Darker spirits like wine, whiskey, & tequila cause more (Darker alcohol contains more chemicals called congeners which worsen hangovers.)
- Drink two glasses of water before bed with a dash of sea salt for electrolytes or bone broth
- Pickle Juice – Drink a shot or two of pickle juice to help replenish electrolytes before you go to sleep & the morning after.
- Ask a friend to take your phone away if you are prone to drunk dialing ex-boyfriends, ex-husbands:)
If you’re practicing your mixology skills at home, I’ve collected 34 keto-friendly cocktail recipes -organized by spirit- to get you started.
Keto Cocktails – Vodka
Sex On The Beach
Vodka + Blackberries + Lemon Juice + Erythritol + Pepper + Mint Leaves = 2 Net Carbs – 180 Calories via Peace, Love And Low Carb
Sparkling White Sangria
Vodka + Sugar-Free Cranberry Juice + Lime + Orange Extract + Stevia= 1 Net Carb – 103 Calories via Verywell Fit
2 Ounces Vodka + 3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice + 8 Ounces Club Soda + 6 Mint Leaves + 1 Cup Ice + Rosemary Sprig (Optional) + Lemon Garnish (Optional) = 0 Net Carbs, 131 Calories
Muddle mint & lemon. Then mix ingredients in a cocktail shaker. Shake it like a polaroid picture for 30 seconds. Serve in a lowball over ice. Garnish with rosemary &/or a slice of lemon. Bottoms up!
Vodka + Ginger + Swerve + Lime + Ginger Ale = 1.5 Net Carbs – 134 Calories via I Breathe I’m Hungry
Vodka + Lemon Protein Water + Lemon Juice + Truvia = 0 Carbs – 130 Calories via Fitviews
1.5 Ounces Vodka + 2 Tablespoons Strong Coffee (Cooled) + 1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract + 2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder + 3 Ounces Heavy Cream + 1.5 Tablespoons Stevia or Swerve + 2 Tablespoons Warm Water = 5 Net Carbs
Mix Cocoa Powder, Stevia, & Warm Water. Give it time to cool. Then combine it with heavy cream, vodka, coffee, & vanilla in a cocktail shaker. Shake well & pour into an ice filled lowball glass.
Vodka + Red Wine + Strawberries + Sprite Zero = 4 Net Carbs – 70 Calories via Living Locurto
Vodka + Lime Juice + Stevia = 2 Net Carbs – 109 Calories via Ketogasm
Vodka + Unsweetened V8 + Bone Broth + Worcestershire Sauce + Horseradish + Tabasco + + Pepper + Lemon Juice = 6.1 Net Carbs – 165 Calories via Word To Your Mother Blog
Vanilla Latte Martini
Vanilla Vodka + Coffee Liqueur + Cream = 3.6 Net Carbs via All Day I Dream About Food
Grapefruit Ginger Fizz
Vodka + Grapefruit Juice + Swerve + Ginger Ale = 2 Net Carbs – 80 Calories via My Life Cookbook
Keto Cocktails – Tequila
Tequila + Lime + Orange Extract + Stevia + Sea Salt = 0.9 Net Carbs – 106 Calories via Wholesome Yum
Tequila + Lime Juice + Strawberries + Xylitol + Mineral Water + Lime Wedge = 1 Net Carb – 120 Calories via Bulletproof Blog
Tequila + Jalapeno Slices + Lime Juice + Liquid Stevia + Chili Powder + Sweet Paprika + Cilantro = 2 Net Carbs – 74 Calories via Appetite For Energy
Keto Cocktails – Bourbon
Strawberry Basil Bourbon Smash
Bourbon + Fresh Mint + Swerve + Crushed Ice = 1 Net Carb – 177 Calories via Word To Your Mother Blog
2 Ounces (4 TBSP) Bourbon + 1 Ounce (2 TBSP) Lemon Juice + 1 Ounce (2 TBSP) Water + 3 Drops Liquid Stevia + Ice = 4 Carbs – 108 Calories
Mix in a cocktail shaker filled with ice & shake it like your life depends on it for 30 seconds. Strain & pour into a chilled ice filled lowball. Garnish with lemon, mint &/or cherry.
Three Wise Men Whiskey Cocktail
Bourbon + Scotch + Whiskey = 0 Carbs – 100 Calories via Word To Your Mother Blog
Keto Cocktails – Gin
Gin + Lime Juice + Sparkling Water + Cucumber Slices = 3.2 Net Carbs – 139 Calories via Keto Diet App
Raspberry Lime Rickey
Gin + Club Soda + Sugar-Free Raspberry Syrup + Limes + Mint = 4 Net Carbs – 16 Calories via Tastaholics
Keto Cocktails – Rum
Strawberry Lemonade Mojitos
Rum + Sugar Free Strawberry Lemonade + Mint = 0 Carbs – 108 Calories via I Breathe I’m Hungry
Spiced Rum + White Rum + Club Soda + Sugar Free Pineapple Syrup + Sugar Free Almond Syrup + Sugar Free Orange Syrup + Sugar Free Cherry Syrup + Lime Juice = 0 Net Carbs – 197 Calories via Lowcarb-ology
Rum + Soda Water + Mint + Lime + Stevia via Always Order Dessert
Raspberry & Blackberry Mojitos
Peach Long Island Iced Tea
Rum + Lime Juice + Club Soda + Powdered Swerve + Blueberries + Mint = 6.75 Net Carbs – 172 Calories via All Day I Dream About Food
Skinny Strawberry Mojito
Light Rum + Club Soda + Mint Leaves + Stevia + Sliced Strawberries + Lime via Parenting Chaos
Rum + Strawberries + Lime Juice + Orange Extract + Liquid Stevia = 4 Net Carbs – 87 Calories via Step Away From The Carbs
Did I Miss Anything?
Do you have any questions about low carb alcohol, mixers, or drinking on the keto diet?
Or maybe I didn’t mention one of your favorite keto cocktails?
Either way, please let me know by leaving a comment below!
Don’t Miss These Low Carb Favorites
Need More Keto Recipes?
If searching for keto recipes, counting macros, planning your meals, and creating shopping lists stresses you out (or is keeping you from getting started in the first place, take a look at how Tastaholics can help you with their weekly meal plans and cookbooks!
Here’s the low down on the weekly meal plans – Tastaholics will send you pre-calculated, low carb meal plans and recipes right into your inbox – no more hunting down recipes on the internet and trying to fit them together perfectly every day.
And their cookbooks? Well, their Keto In Five – Not your Grandmother’s Cookbooks style e-books are downloadable on any device.
*Update! Tastaholics has launched a new collection of Keto Cocktails in Five! 30 Low Carb Drinks – All with up to 5 Net Carbs, 5 Ingredients & 5 Easy Steps! Oh, & I’ve tried (almost) all of them & they are LEGIT!
Recommended Keto Books
The Essential Keto Cookbook is filled with 100 amazing low carb recipes – and you can get it free – all you have to do is pay shipping and handling.:)