This easy keto mushroom soup is a fabulously delicious gluten-free, low carb cream of mushroom soup substitute! Warm up with a bowl of this delicious and creamy soup on a cold night or use it as your new secret weapon to make your favorite classic casserole recipes low carb!
This post may contain affiliate links that help keep this content free. [Full Disclosure]
Growing up, the iconic red & white Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup can was a staple in our kitchen. My mother & grandmother religiously used it with everything from “healthy” soups to casseroles.
But it was the eighties & soup was “Good Food.” Now, it’s hard for me to rationalize eating anything from a can especially soup.
Carbs In Canned Mushroom Soup
One can of cream of mushroom soup contains over 16 net carbs, plus a few not so healthy ingredients like vegetable oil, modified food starch and wheat flour.
When I started the keto diet creating low carb homemade soup staples was not on my radar, but after the official food boredom kicked in, I knew I had to do something to re-create my childhood favorites without sacrificing my weight loss.
Keto Cream of Mushroom soup seemed like a logical place to start! Full disclosure: this recipe was inspired by Dinner With Julie’s Cream of Mushroom Soup with Buttered Crackers recipe!
Since I don’t enjoy working in the kitchen all day, I made this low carb, keto mushroom soup recipe as easy as possible without sacrificing the flavor.
Oh, and did I mention it only has 4.4 Net Carbs?
Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup – The Major Players (AKA: Ingredients)
- Chicken Stock
- Heavy Cream
- Sherry Cooking Wine (Optional)
Mushrooms are packed with plant-based proteins, fiber, antioxidants & vitamins. And their low carb profile makes them a keto favorite!
Even though they have different appearances, white button, cremini, and portobello mushrooms are all part of the same mushroom species: Agaricus bisporus.
These mushrooms are a fabulous source of riboflavin, vitamin B6, folate, protein, zinc, & copper.
FYI: Cremini is known for a slightly bolder flavor!
Chanterelle mushrooms are full of protein, vitamin D & B, plus minerals including potassium, copper, and selenium. These wild mushrooms are typically a bit meatier than the others & pair well with cream sauces. They are available all year & you can usually find them in any produce department.
I mixed it up with this recipe and used all 3 varieties of mushrooms, but you can stick to one! Which I have done & it’s still FABULOUS!
The Chicken Stock
While homemade is the healthiest (& cheapest) option let’s get real: we don’t always have make-your-own kind of broth time! You can find low carb chicken stock on the aisle of your local grocery store. Sam’s Choice Organic Chicken Bone Broth is the one I use when homemade isn’t an option.
Ok. So now that we’ve gotten the FAQ out of the way let’s get to the recipe! This keto cream of mushroom soup is so fabulous it can hold its own as a dinner recipe, but what makes it AMAZING is that it’s the perfect sub when you need a low carb option for casseroles & sauces! I hope you love it as much as we do!Print
This easy keto mushroom soup is the best low carb cream of mushroom soup substitute! Warm up with a bowl of this delicious and creamy soup on a cold night or use it as your new secret weapon to make your favorite casserole recipes low carb!
- 1 Pound Sliced Mushrooms (Fresh Brown, Cremini or Chanterelle Mushrooms – Or a combination of all)
- 4 Cups Low Carb Chicken Stock
- 1 Small Onion – Finely Chopped
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Crushed Garlic Cloves
- 2 Leeks (Chopped)
- 1/2 – 1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1–2 Sprigs of Fresh Thyme or 1 Teaspoon of Dried Thyme (Optional)
- 1 Tablespoon Francesco Rinaldi Sherry Cooking Wine (Optional)
- Start by rinsing & slicing the mushrooms & set aside
- Finely Chop 1 Small Onion & 2 Leeks
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of butter in a large skillet
- Add in chopped onion & leeks & cook over medium-high heat until the onions appear clear & soft
- Next, add in garlic & cook for 1 minute
- Add mushrooms & the remaining (2 Tablespoons) butter & Thyme
- Cook for another 5 minutes until mushrooms are coated in butter & appear soft
- Add the (Optional) Sherry Cooking Wine & cook for one minute
- Stir in the low carb chicken stock & increase heat. Bring to a simmer & cook for around 8 minutes
- Finally, add in the heavy whipping cream & cook for another 3 minutes
- Last Step: Use an Immersion blender to puree until smooth and creamy or use a blender to puree in batches
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: keto, low carb, keto recipes, keto soup, low carb recipes, low carb soup, keto cream of mushroom soup
Stock Your Keto Pantry!
And for more than 500 Low Carb Keto Meal ideas and easy recipes, check out my Keto Recipes Index!