You deserve a keto crackers recipe that tastes amazing as a stand alone snack and pairs nicely with your favorite dips and soups. And today I’m giving you a fabulously healthy low carb cracker recipe (gluten and sugar-free) that you’ll put on repeat. Before you jump to the recipe, you may want to take a moment to read the tips:)
This post may contain affiliate links that help keep this content free. [Full Disclosure]
First, a message to the newbies: Do not, I repeat, DO NOT be intimidated by low carb baking – even if you’re not a Martha (Stewart) or a Betty (Crocker) or – if you’ve never baked anything from scratch – you can make this keto crackers recipe happen.
Moment of Truth: Baking isn’t my passion. Carefully measuring ingredients and stalking my oven timer as though my life depends on it isn’t at the top of my favorites list, but here’s the thing – I realized if I was going to stay healthy and keep off the weight, I’d have to get in the kitchen. And make more than a list. My motto? Keep recipes as simple as possible and easy to customize – so you and me never get bored. This is one of those recipes:)
What You Need To Make Keto Crackers
- Blanched Almond Flour: Use “blanched” to get the right texture. Will almond meal work? Yep. But it will be a different recipe (& I’ve can’t vouch for it:)
- Coconut Flour: Sometimes coconut flour is harder to work with, but that is not true in this case.
- Xanthan Gum: Thickener. You need it.
- Sea Salt
- Grass-fed Butter (Softened): Grass-fed preferred – not mandatory.
- Cream Cheese (Softened): Try to remember to set it out to soften. But if you forget – it is not a deal breaker.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Helps strengthen dough and helps it rise – which is VIP in gluten-free bread (like these crackers)
- *Your Favorite Choice of Herbs & Seasoning: See list below!
How To Make Keto Crackers
The easiest way to make these is in a food processor, but if you don’t have one, you can mix by hand. Start with mixing the almond flour, coconut flour, and xanthan gum. Get the lumps out – Then add the butter and cream cheese, apple cider vinegar and egg.
Next, you’ll use your hands to form the dough into a ball – then cover it with cling wrap and let it chill in the refrigerator for an hour. Seriously, the dough will be easier to form and work with if you let it chill:)
Use 2 Sheets of Parchment Paper
Parchment paper makes rolling/thinning your dough and transferring it to your baking sheet easy. Gluten-free dough is a delicate little flower – she needs extra TLC.
No Rolling Pin? No Problem
Use a wine bottle, a tall glass, or a can of veggies. Don’t feel bad if you don’t have the “right tools” – the goal is to flatten the dough as uniformly as possible. The thinner the dough the crispier the cracker! Use what ya got!
Using a pizza cutter to form the crackers will save you time and frustration, but you can use a knife if you don’t have one.
Stick A Fork In It – Do Not Skip This Step
Before you put your crackers in the oven, use a fork to poke holes in the dough. Why Bother? The holes help steam escape and prevent inflated, puffy crackers. Ever wondered why those Keebler Elves always put holes in their crackers? Well, now ya know.
Storing crackers in an airtight container helps keep them fresh and crispy, but make sure you let them cool completely before sealing them up!
How To Add Flavor & Customize Keto Crackers
Ok, so here’s my favorite part of this recipe – you’ll never get bored. Get creative with herbs and seasonings like basil, garlic, Italian – I made a list of suggestions below.
The first time I made these crackers I seasoned half with Everything Bagel Seasoning and a half with a combination of red pepper flakes and ranch seasoning. I intended to brush the crackers with butter before I seasoned, but I forgot:) *I didn’t miss it at all, but if you want to try it go right ahead! My husband said he could tell the Everything Bagel was a “keto cracker” (Can’t win them all – but for the record – I enjoyed them), However, he was impressed by the ranch/red pepper combo. Bonus: The kids approved: both LK and Nathan ate them like it was their job.
Flavor Combinations to Try
- 1 Teaspoon Ranch + 1/2 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder + 1/2 Teaspoon Parmesan
- 1 Teaspoon (or more) Taco Seasoning
- Onion Powder
- Rosemary + Parmesan
Keto Crackers Go With…
Everything! Use these on a charcuterie tray for parties or pair with Buffalo Chicken Dip or Guacamole or Salsa! Or top one with a slice of cheddar or gouda cheese or cheese + pepperoni or with nut butter. I feel like I’m repeating myself here, but really – the possibilities are endless!
Keto Crackers Macros: Total Fat 6.7g, Saturated Fat 3.6g, Protein 1.4g, Total Carbs 1.9, Fiber 0.7g, Net Carbs 1.2Print
This keto crackers recipe is a fabulous low carb keto snack with crunch that’s gluten-free and sugar-free. Almond flour, coconut flour, cream cheese, and butter combine to create a keto diet cracker that’s the perfect vehicle for low carb dips and appetizers or as a stand-alone, stand out snack!
- Step 1: Combine almond flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum, and sea salt in a food processor or by hand until it is lump-free.
- Step 2: Add butter and cream cheese – combine well.
- Step 3: If you’re using a food processor, transfer to a bowl. Then add egg and Apple Cider Vinegar
- Step 4: Using your hands, form the dough into a ball and place in cling wrap in the refrigerator for at least an hour (It will be fine in there for up to 3 days)
- Step 5: Grab 2 sheets of parchment paper (the size of your baking pan)
- Step 6: It’s time to make the cracker shape happen! Put the dough in between two pieces of parchment paper – your goal is to form one thin, even rectangle. Now is the time to use your rolling pin. Can’t find it? Use a wine bottle, a tall glass, or any canned good. The goal is not to look like Martha Stewart – the goal is to flatten that dough as uniformly as possible. The thinner the dough the crispier the cracker!
- Step 7: Use a pizza cutter to divide the dough into squares (I made 24)
- Step 8: Add herbs & spices and bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes *Cooking times vary so keep an eye on it
Flavor Combinations to Try
1 Teaspoon Ranch + 1/2 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder + 1/2 Teaspoon Parmesan
1 Teaspoon (or more) Taco Seasoning
Rosemary + Parmesan
- Category: Snack, Appetizer
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Keto, Low Carb, Gluten-Free
Keywords: keto crackers, low carb crackers, gluten-free, homemade crackers, keto snacks, low carb snacks, ketogenic, healthy