Skip the sugar and the carbs the next time your cravings for Chinese stir fry kick in and make this crazy delicious and super simple Keto Beef and Broccoli stir-fry dinner. Seriously, this copycat for PF Changs couldn’t be easier and is a way healthier alternative to takeout that’s low carb, gluten-free, paleo and Whole30 approved.
This post may contain affiliate links that help keep this content free. [Full Disclosure]
Ok, so I love Chinese takeout as much as the next chick, but what I do not adore is all of the unnecessary sodium, sugar, and carbs. Or the feeling of hunger that ultimately hits about an hour after finishing my meal.
Enter this healthier version of the classic Beef and Broccoli stir fry. It’s easy to put together, it tastes amazing, and it doesn’t make me look and feel fluffy and swollen, which is always a bonus.
Is Beef And Broccoli Keto Friendly?
The traditional Beef and Broccoli recipe (like you’d get from Panda Express or PF Changs) is not low carb, keto, or remotely healthy, but this recipe is! The original version contains extra sugar as well as cornstarch – and neither are keto-friendly.
1 lb beef (sirloin, skirt steak, or flank steak) – I use sirloin because a) I can typically find it easily and it is budget-friendly)
1 to 2 heads broccoli, broken into florets (or pre-cut bagged)
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 pieces thin sliced ginger, finely chopped
Olive oil or Ghee
Sesame seeds (optional, for garnish)
Chopped scallions (optional, for garnish)
For this Keto Beef and Broccoli to be on point, you do need to marinate the slices of beef for at least 15 minutes. Here’s what you need.
4 tbsp coconut aminos
1 tbsp + 2.5 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp red boat fish sauce
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp, freshly grated fresh ginger
3 minced garlic cloves
1/2 tsp black pepper (divided)
1/4 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
Is Fish Sauce Keto-Friendly?
Yes! Red boat fish sauce is a Vietnamese fish sauce that pro chefs often use to create that elusive fifth flavor-umami. Made with black anchovy and sea salt. It has no added msg or preservatives. Per tablespoon red boat fish sauce has 15 calories, 4 grams of protein, 0 carbs, and 0 sugar. It is gluten-free and keto-friendly.
Tips For Making Keto Beef And Broccoli
Marinade for at least 15 minutes.
Use a ceramic wok or stainless skillet and make sure you pre-heat it. Regardless of what type of pan you use it needs to be hot
Don’t put too much steak in at once. If you overcrowd the pan, your steak will not get a good sear.
Sear the beef for around 2 minutes and then flip and sear for about 30 seconds. If you move the steak too much, it will not sear as well.
Swaps For Coconut Aminos
This recipe calls for coconut aminos, but if you don’t have these on hand or can’t find in the store, you may substitute with a gluten-free soy sauce or Tamari, but you’ll need to use half the amount as these come with a more robust, saltier flavor.
How To Store & Freeze
If you have leftovers, they’ll be fine in the fridge for 3-4 days in an airtight container. For the freezer, store in a heavy-duty freezer bag for up to 3 months.
If You Like This Keto Beef and Broccoli, You’ll Love These Dinner Recipes
Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken – An easy, low carb chicken dinner with chicken, balsamic vinegar, garlic, broth, and a couple of spices with 3.5 net carbs per serving.
Keto Crockpot White Shredded Chicken Chili – Chicken, cream cheese, and a hint of spice combine to create a low carb slow-cooking chili that is sure to become a favorite.
Easy Keto Cheeseburger Casserole with Bacon – An easy low carb miracle dinner (with 3.6 net carbs per serving) that’s 100% family-friendly, ready in 30 minutes, and tastes like everything you ever wanted in a bacon cheeseburger.
One Pan Chicken Thighs with Mozzarella – An easy low carb one-skillet style dinner that you can make in 40 minutes with 1.9 net carbs per serving.Print
This Keto Beef and Broccoli recipe makes an easy dinner that’s low carb, gluten-free, Whole30 and paleo friendly – with 5.3 net carbs and 6 WW Points!
- 1 lb beef (sirloin, skirt steak, or flank steak) – I use sirloin because a) I can typically find it easily and it is budget-friendly)
- 1 to 2 heads broccoli, broken into florets (or pre-cut bagged)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pieces thin sliced ginger, finely chopped
- Olive oil or Ghee
- Sesame seeds (optional, for garnish)
- Chopped scallions (optional, for garnish)
Marinade & Stir Fry Sauce
- Combine the ingredients for the marinade and sauce (in two separate bowls) and set aside.
- Marinade: 2 tbsp coconut aminos, 1 tbsp sesame oil, ½ tsp sea salt, ¼ tsp baking soda
- Sauce: Mix the stir fry sauce by combining 2 tablespoons coconut aminos, 1 tablespoon red boat fish sauce, 2 teaspoons sesame oil, and pepper.
- Slice the beef into ¼ inch thin slices and place in a pan with the marinade for at least 15 minutes
- Chop the broccoli (or take it out the bag if using pre-cut). Put it in a safe microwave bowl with two tablespoons of water and cover. Microwave for 2-3 minutes until it is tender but still has a crunch. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet or wok over medium-high heat along with 1 tablespoon olive oil or ghee. Add garlic, ginger, and salt and mix for about 15 seconds.
- Crank up the heat to high and add the marinated beef. Be sure to evenly distribute it and cook for around 2 minutes (without moving it around too much) until the edges are dark – then flip and repeat.
- Final Step: Add the sauce. Stir-fry for about 1 min. Then add in broccoli.
- Stir-fry for another 30 secs, toss & enjoy.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stir Fry
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: dinner, keto dinner, healthy, low carb, Whole30, paleo, 30 minute dinner recipe, gluten-free, stir fry, dinner recipe
Stock Your Keto Pantry!
And for more than 500 Low Carb Keto Meal ideas and easy recipes, check out my Keto Recipes Index!
Kickstart Keto Without Giving Up Your Favorite Foods!
I’ve lost 148 pounds on the keto diet and maintained that weight loss for six years!
I wrote a book that details my weight loss journey, Rebel Keto, which includes over 100 recipes and is coming soon. But I don’t expect you to wait on my book to get started, so I am offering my digital recipe books, Crave-Worthy Keto, at a discounted rate of 35% off for a limited time.
Crave-Worthy Keto is the ultimate collection of over 40 low carb recipes for all of the foods you crave for breakfast, make ahead meals, breads, and 30-minute dinners. All with 5 net carbs or less! Don’t wait another day to get started! Buy Crave-Worthy Keto now and download them instantly!